Wednesday, June 17, 2009

It's Dark in the Country

Well, the hubs and I are just about settled in McKinney. This Friday it will be three weeks since we moved, but with all of our traveling around the last couple weeks, it is just beginning to feel like home. There are many things that make this place feel new. It's as if we have moved to a new state rather than just a few cities away. Here are just a few of the new things...
  • Lightening Bugs! Oh my goodness! They are everywhere and they make my heart happy because I can only think about going my dad's softball games as a little girl and being encouraged by my mom to chase around the magical insects.
  • Country Wildlife. Luckily I have not had any run ins with anything other than a passing skunk, but I am always on alert for the danger that lurks about on our new, unfamiliar 42-acres. (I know, a little dramatic, right?) But seriously people, I have heard stories about snakes (copperheads!) slithering about on the driveways, bobcats creeping on the roof, coyotes sitings, raccoons making their home in the garage. It's just too much for a city girl! The other day after church they were telling a story about snakes and Larry just grazed my toe with his foot and I jumped so high that my knee hit the table causing everyone's plates to shake about. Oh, and let's not forget that I have a tiny, precious dog that could be snatched up at any moment by an owl, hawk or coyote. Can you even imagine the horror of it? Why are you laughing? This is serious. Very. I am not being irrational. My fears are warranted. Okay, just took some zanax. Heart rate slowly coming down...
  • Cable Television. That's right, this is the first time since 2003 that I have had cable at my place of residence. Larry and I aren't big TV watchers but I am excited to have more than six channels to choose from now.
  • A Garage. Yep, I have my very own place to put my car. I have never had a garage before so I am always a little excited to push the button on the opener.
  • Bullfrog Ribbets. They make funny sounds all night. At first I thought it was some kind of dying, moaning animal in the pasture behind us. But my husband knows a lot about a lot and he informed me that it's just good ol' bullfrogs. Can't you just picture me walking around all nervous like at every new sound? Hopefully this wears off soon.
  • Long Drives. Well, I better just get used to this one because my drive to work is about 45 minutes and the drive to Keller is over an hour. I plan to just stay home. A lot.

That's all I have for now. I can't wait for the residents to get home at the end of this week! D and C have made us feel so very welcome at this point and we feel completely at peace and excited about our decision to be apart of Cornerstone. I will try to get pictures up soon of our new little home. I love it - thank you for the kitchen space! Please come visit us soon - but beware of snakes, bobcats and more - oh my!

Signed,

Tip Toeing in the Wilderness

6 comments:

  1. Yay!!! We can't WAIT to visit the ranch to see our Causeys. Awww yeah...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand part of what you are talking about. We aren't nearly as in the "country" as you are, but coyotes have been seen. Living next to Southfork still cracks me up alot of the time. The first day of dove hunting season was also interesting to wake up to!

    Your new home sounds wonderful, and I know you are going to be such a blessing to the people there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might have to make a trip up there and see the lightening bugs for myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys are so adorable! And you have the best playlist ever on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love lightening bugs...haven't really seen them much since I was a little girl. I am glad that you are settling in at your new home!

    ReplyDelete