Sunday, February 14, 2010

Guest Blog from Happiest Belly on the Block

Mint Chocolate Valentine’s Day Marshmallows
By Alison at The Happiest Belly on the Block

I was so excited when Courtney asked me to guest post on Causey Chit Chat! I read her blog all the time and am thrilled to find a new friend in the blogging world.  Since Courtney is devoting her February posts to things she loves, I thought I’d share with you something I love. 


Here is my recipe for Mint Chocolate Valentine’s Day Marshmallows. This year I made them for my daughter’s teachers and my co-workers as a little Valentine’s Day gift. These marshmallows are easy to make and require absolutely no baking. They keep well for up to a month and are delicious by themselves or added to a yummy mug of hot cocoa. I hope you love them as much as I do!

Servings: approximately 50 marshmallows
Ingredients:
For the marshmallows-
3 packets unflavored gelatin
1 cup light corn syrup with vanilla flavor
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
¼ tsp. kosher salt
1 ½ cups cold water
1 cup powdered sugar
3 tsp. red food dye
1 9x13 pan, sprayed with nonstick spray and coated with powdered sugar
1 candy thermometer (or a thermometer that measures up to 240 degrees)
1 small heart shaped cookie cutter

For the chocolate glaze-
3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 teaspoon peppermint extract
1 metal or bamboo skewer (you can also use a toothpick)
Waxed paper

Assembly:
Place ½ cup cold water and contents of the gelatin packets in a stand mixer fit with the whisk attachment.  Heat 1 cup water, sugar, salt and corn syrup to 240 degrees. Turn the mixer on and add the heated water/sugar mixture to the mixing bowl set on low speed. Once all of your liquid is in the mixer, set the speed to high and let it run for 8-10 minutes (you will know it’s ready when the marshmallow is white and fluffy). In the last minute or so, slowly add 3 tsp. red food dye (you may need to add more or less to achieve your desired color). Turn the marshmallow mixture into the 9x13 pan and use a greased spatula to spread it to the edges. Allow the marshmallows to sit, uncovered, for 3-4 days. 
When you are ready to cut out the hearts, grease and coat the cookie cutter with powdered sugar. Cut out heart shapes, pressing down until the cutter reaches the bottom of the pan then twisting to release the heart. Push the heart shaped marshmallow out of the mold with your fingers and roll lightly in powdered sugar. Repeat until you have used all of the marshmallow. You can use the leftover marshmallow around the edges for hot chocolate later.
In a double boiler (if you don’t have a double boiler, a metal bowl sitting in a pot with 2-3 inches of water will work just fine), melt the chocolate, stirring in the peppermint extract when melted. Spear the top of the heart with a skewer and dip, twisting to coat the front and back of the marshmallow with chocolate. Carefully place the heart on a cookie sheet lined with waxed paper. Chill in the freezer for 10 minutes before serving or wrapping as a gift. Repeat until you have dipped all of your marshmallows. 









































For more fabulous recipes from The Happiest Belly on the Block, click here. Enjoy and Happy Valentine's Day!

7 comments:

  1. Yummy! I will have to try those! I also wish I had seen your post about the cupcake liner wreath, that was adorable! But, seriously, those marshmallows look so good and cute!
    -Kari Kirkham

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds amazing, I'm making them for my family this weekend! Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, these look really good. Thanks for sharing. Stopping by from SITS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for being a guest on my sis-in-law's and bro's blogsite and for all the YUMMY ideas! I can't wait to marshmallow out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute recipe! I never really thought about making marshmallows... I always just assumed they came straight from the magical marshmallow fairy or something. I'd have to use a hand-mixer, but it still seems doable...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!! i'm so hungry!!! One day, when I don't have two demanding little boys that wear me out, i will try this!!! Looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those look to die for! Im going to have to pass this off to my sister, who is the chef in the family. :)

    ReplyDelete